In addition experiences acquired individually by students, the Dedman College of Hospitality offers established internship and work programs.
Dedman has partnered with five-star hotels in Dublin, Ireland, and the surrounding area. Each year, students are selected to intern at The Shelbourne (a Marriott Autograph Collection property), The Intercontinental Hotel Dublin, The Westin Dublin, The Merrion Hotel Dublin, and the Powerscourt Hotel (a Marriott Autograph Collection property located in County Wicklow).
How it Works:
- An application and pre-screening interview takes place in September/October at the Dedman College of Hospitality.
- Students selected through the pre-screening process are recommended to the hotel partners and they conduct phone and video interviews with candidates.
- Internships are 6-months in duration, and approximate dates are mid-May until November.
- Internships are offered in Front Desk/Rooms, Housekeeping, or Food & Beverage.
- Once an internship has been offered, Dedman works with students to secure all necessary visa and immigration documentation.
Resort and Vacation Rental Management Program (Destin, FL)
The Dedman College of Hospitality partners with properties in the Destin, FL area to offer a Resort and Vacation Rental Management Program. The program includes an internship component providing around 500 hours of work experience and allows students to take relevant courses that replace required hospitality courses and electives.
Students interning at any property in the Destin/30A/Panama City Beach area are eligible to participate in the program. The college has established relationships with Emerald Grande at Harborwalk Village, The Henderson, Vacasa, Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, and St. Joe Club and Resorts (various locations). Each year, approximately 20 Dedman College of Hospitality students take part in the program.
How it Works:
- Students must secure an internship at one of the program sites to be eligible for the Resort and Vacation Rental Management program. If you are interested in participating, contact Alishia Piotrowski. Site visits are conducted during the course of the year and the resorts/management companies also recruit on campus.
- Once a student has secured an internship, he or she needs to view the Resort and Vacation Rental Management Brochure (PDF) to see course options and additional information about the program.
Courses offered include: HFT 3941: Management Internship (6 credits), HFT 3270: Resort Operations (3 credits), HFT 4224: Leadership & Ethics (3 credits) and HFT 4471: Managing Revenues and Expenses (3 credits).
To learn more, contact Alishia Piotrowski.